Chewing gum is an old time foe to carpets and clothing: it’s never nice when you or your child accidently sits or steps in gum! The good news is chewing gum is easy to remove from clothes and carpets. We’ve put together our top tips to give you a helping hand.
- Freezing Method – The easiest method for removing chewing gum from garments is freezing. Firstly, take the item and place in a freezer bag, being sure that the chewing gum doesn’t stick to the bag. Then, seal the bag correctly and place the item in the freezer, leaving it in this cold environment for a minimum of two hours. When removed, peel the chewing gum off the clothing as soon as possible to prevent it from warming up and reattaching. If this is tricky, use a blunt knife to remove the gum from the clothes to prevent damage. Be sure to angle the knife away from you.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is another cheap alternative to removing gum from clothing, and it causes no damage. Simply soak the garment in lemon juice and scrape the gum with a blunt knife or spoon. Wash the garment as soon as possible following applying lemon juice.
- Vinegar – Vinegar can be used for many different cleaning purposes, but it can also be used to remove gum. Soak the item in hot vinegar, and brush or scrape the gum off carefully with a blunt tool.
- Hairdryer – For this method you will need a hairdryer and a plastic bag. Aim the dryer at the affected area and wait a while until the gum is soft. Then slowly scrape it off with the plastic bag. Remove the remaining stain with laundry powder and a little bit of water, and scrub it away gently.
- Ice - The first way you can remove it is by using the ice method. For this you will need some ice, and something to scrape away the gum after. Put the ice in the bag and place it on the area affected and wait until the gum hardens. When it has, slowly peel it off with a spoon or a knife. Often, a stain can remain, but you can remove the remainder by gently scrubbing it away with some water, laundry powder and a sponge.
- Carpet cleaning – If you are having difficulty removing the gum from your carpets following using these methods, it may be time to call in the professionals. A carpet cleaning machine can remove all sorts of tough marks and stains. Not only will the gum be removed, but you’ll have clean and fluffy carpets again!
Need a hand with your commercial or domestic cleaning? Please get in touch today!
Tweet us: @CleanSweepWales or Facebook us: @CleanSweepSwansea